KWA KM4 RIS review

b.samriey

28 okt 2015
Trophies
After 6 month of usage and shooting more than 25000 twenty five thousand (vijfentwintigduizend) bb's with different weather conditions time has come to put my review of the replica.

Why KWA
For some one had military experiment it was hard to select the right replica which give me at lest the precise path to the target in (mid and short range) not to mention my old experience with (Bolt Action Sniper Rifles) was completely joke.."Since we're talking about war simulation replica"..
However today I am speaking about something else something officially considered as professional training platform at most security services institutions in U.S, and the reason for this because KWA industry mixed between the high quality materials and closely replicates the actual weapon. To deliver airsoft products perfectly fit professional training task and for some scenario-based training as well.

KWA origin
Having its origins in Taiwan is a U.S based company they're firmly based in Los Angeles County California.

KWA KM4 RIS description
Based on the many successful KWA product line, the KM4 RIS by KWA is a fully automatic electric gun that follows many of the same external aesthetic features of the original AR15 style rifle. The KM4 RIS features a full Rail Interface System that allows users to attach weapon accessories in various configurations. Full metal alloy receivers ensure that the weapon is strong and robust. Flat top railed receivers and a removable BUIS allows the user to attach various optics. A six positioned crane stock gives the operator the most comfortable shooting position while housing a variety of batteries. Updated with the proven 2GX gearbox and enhanced 2G hop-up bucking, the KM4 RIS provides long lasting reliability and performance for those seeking a mission ready combat rifle.

KWA KM4 RIS internal
-Japanese Brass Barrel Diameter: 6.05 mm
-Inner Barrel Length: 395 mm
-Outer Barrel Length: 36.83 cm [14.5″]
-Overall Length (Retracted): 80.65 cm [31.75″]
-Overall Length (Extended): 88.9 cm [35.0″]
-Full Metal KWA 2GX gearbox
-KWA 2G high performance bucking
-Adjustable hop-up
-9mm Bearing Bushing
-M12 spring offer 390 ~ 410fps
-KWA High-Torque motor
-Safety fuse
The KWA gearbox known as the strongest gearbox ever made.

Performance
Rate of fire: 20+ RPS
Velocity: 118-125 MPS [390-410 FPS]
Energy Output With 0.20g BB: 1.49 Joules

KWA KM4 RIS External And Specification
-Full metal alloy flat top upper receiver.
-Full metal alloy lower receiver
-2 piece Rail Interface System
-Adjustable front and rear sights
-Removable rear sight
-6 position battery stock with battery compartment
-Semi-automatic & automatic select-fire
-Handguard: Rail System
-Stock Type: Crane Stock
-Weight:3.18 kg

My experience with KWA KM4 RIS
After several weeks of extensive research via the internet seeking what replica can reach my ambition i got to pick up the KWA KM4 RIS which recommended by everyone i met or ask online.
Now with long patience and suffering of waiting the KWA has been arrived to my home from U.S via the UPS service.
And between the legitimate right of worries and my happiness i opened the box.
Nothing was special or distinctive inside the box except black replica telling me you got what you paid for..
That touch feeling send me 12 years to the past.. The smell, the weight except the crane stock wasn't my friend from the beginning.
My firefox 11.1V 2400mAh LiPo battery already was fully charged and waiting to this moment as I am, and with a few minutes i loaded one of my KWA mid-cap magazine in 120 bb's and connect all of them together..
Time to rock and roll baby!
And such a beam, whole the bb's lined up it's way to that poor carton box make it center fly pieces such a small butterflies.. the magazine already empty but my finger still on the trigger enjoy listening to that symphony..
The most thing bring my attention where i had lighted candles top shelf start to play strongly due the air seal come out the barrel.
Anyway, now i have to downgrade my FPS due to the Netherlands rules and regulation which allow such this rifle 360fps.
I wouldn't open my gearbox and just keep it original stock, so i was searching on internet on how to downgrade your FPS with out open your gearbox, let me waste 5000 bb's just to comperes my spring to reach 360fps but at the end it didn't work and force my to replace my spring to guarder SP100 which gives me 340~350fps at the beginning later and with time reduced to 330~340fps.

The KWA KM4 RIS at the battlefield
Now it come to the serious test where the wide field and weather condition play multi-role affect your accuracy especially that day when i start back to play was frozen with light rain, however.
Since that time 17 of January 2016 till a few weeks ago i had no problem to mention with the KWA KM4 RIS the replica was perform extremely well and still.
All target between 60~70 meter was in my range and even superior by very responsive trigger system.
All target in critical angle was in my range and I've been able to achieved hit.
I have videos prove all these achievement and I'm not fan to KWA at all or any other but when it come to the reality i have to submit my view in neutral.
I know there is many good bran out there such as Krytac, Tokyo marui, CSI and just many others but this is my experience with KWA and this is what i have seen, no more no less.

Does The KWA KM4 RIS Requires Any Upgrade?
Absolutely no, the replica perform extremely well and ready right out the box.
But as i said above due to the Netherlands rules and regulation you must downgrade it to 360fps.

KWA KM4 RIS Customization
The KWA KM4 RIS accept many customization which allow you to get a new gun look each time you love too, i will post some pictures below.

pros
Very responsive trigger.
Feed well.
Extremely accurate (shoots straight and far).
Very strong gearbox and top notch internals.
No wobble at all.
Full metal.
11.1v Lipo ready.
Shaking your shoulder even when it's not (Electric Recoil Gun).
Wired to the back.

Cons
Very tough (thick) wiring system.
Heavy bit
aKhW9g9.jpg

Some review on internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orr6n5cIq24

Hi Sam,

Thanks a lot for your in depth review! I'm considering making a switch to KWA when my Dboys M16 is worn out.

I read online that the KWA M16 is one of the best replica's to get so its nice to see that KWA is also reputable on its other AEG's.

I also dislike the crane stock, so maybe if I ever make a switch and its not an M16, I'll try and move the wiring to the front so I can PEQ box it. Or get a small lips and hide it in the RIS?

In murica kwa is a highly respected brand among players, due to the very good out of the box performance. I was also considering them when buying my first one but they were hard to get here and for a in my opinion to high price. You have a crane stock on your M16 heresy XD. Most m16 replicas hide the battery in the stock itself, because it is hollow and can therefore hold quite a large battery.

Hi Jan!
Glad you find my review advantageous for you.
Well the KWA M16 and the KWA KM4 SR10 and the KM4 RIS all of them have exactly the same gearbox and all internals except the barrel length much longer in M16 and SR10. and since we're restricted here in 360fps then the long barrel will make no different, contrariwise it will be disadvantage, the KM4 ris id your perfect choice without competition.
Regarding to the wiring system you don't need to move it to the front, just try to get this battery Turnigy nano-tech 1200mah 2S 15~25C Lipo AIRSOFT Pack and will sit nicely in the buffer tube (but you need to do little bit work to modify wire connector heads with the battery something about €4,- from praxis) so you can select your favorite stock such as MOD1 or 2..etc
However i will make short video on how to install lipo battery in KWA buffer tube.
Good luck matey!

The barrel length isn't a disadvantage unless you're using a too small cylinder with the barrel, but KWA uses a full cylinder stock so that is fine. FPS has nothing to say about which barrel length you should or should not use.

Epic! I totally forgot that I wanted to try out fitting a battery in the buffer tube but thanks for reminding me, even better, thanks for telling me its possible!

Means I'd have to switch to lipo's but what the heck! I can even pull this trick of on my current specna arms keymod replica. I really dislike the butterfly nunchuck housing stocks so time to spice that baby up muhaha! Makes for a nice practice run before getting a future KWA ;)

@Jan quick update.
My guess was wrong to the range of my KWA KM4, because when i checked my longest accurate hit it on google map it was 40 meter and further than that i'm shooting random barrage of bb's luckily hit target or not. Sorry to this honest mistake. Here is picture to my measurement on RSL field plus the video at 9:58 showing that hit.
Ync2o5G.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swtGQV38xB8

Nice update! Thanks! I've already got the upgraded internals from my M16. So I'll only need a new barrel if I go to the M4 platform.

@Jan to night i will upload video for you on how to modify and fit Lipo battry in buffer tube.
@Rebelattack now I am truly curious to know what is my KWA actual range!
Because i have found the google measurements is wrong, which i measured the nearest car park at the local super market i found it smaller than it is and when i measured my building car park it show me larger than it is..!
So I'm going to get digital 7X range finder and check the RSL field in next time and will keep you up to date.

My estimate would be probably 40-50 meters. Depends on upgrades but assuming it is stock then that is quite good but KWA its 2GX hop up works well so yeah 40-50 meter is my guess.

I doubt for good reason, my replica loud enough to bring attention to the people between 40~50 meter, and they would be able to detect sound source. While you can see clearly at 3:20 this guy didn't know where this shot come from! And more than that those 4 guys at 4:28 none of them where able to know where I am until one of them turn his face to me and saw where i was. That's mean I am away far from them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmurr2kYheE

Great! Cant wait. I'd also have to get a buffer tube with end-cap because I most likely will want to put on the standard M4 stock. But I'll go and upgrade my Specna Keymod CQB replica to be an awesome CQB beastie ;)

Still think that is no more then 40-50 meters, they were probably mostly surprised that the shots came from behind and maybe they heard you immediately but didn't know where the shots came from. Anyway we will know the exact range after your measurements.

@Jan here is the video tutorial i hope it will be helpful to you.
By the way you don't need to be aware or consider all warnings comes in the video as personal. you're pro airsofter and well experienced, but i have to warn those people who come across this video.
I also forgot to to mention that you need nylon velcro hook loop cable to tie your stock cover just in case not to lose it in somehow, you can find one for free around your laptop AC power adapters.
5RhyEpO.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7yLIRKpkwo

Cool! Thanks for making that <3

I imagine the stock also feels more "free" without chugging along a battery and some wires, slowing it down.

Will check this out in a while when I'm upgrading my externals. Thanks again!

I'm reviving this topic to ask @b.samriey if this KWA is still performing ^_^ What is your experience now that you owned it longer?

After today, and new drills I've learned, I'm in the marking for a proper USMC M4 model AEG ;)

Ik heb @b.samriey al een lange tijd niet meer op het forum gezien :(. KWA is wel echt een heel erg Amerikaans merk dus best duur hier binnen Europa, weinig plekken waar je ze kan halen en meestal beginnen ze pas rond de 350 euro. Ook loopt KWA een beetje achter de laatste jaren en zijn hun modellen toch wel achterhaalt, als je naar hun M4 modellen zoekt kom je al snel op forum topics van 3-4 jaar oud en ze gebruiken veel proprietary onderdelen zoals de hop up unit, waardoor dingen vervangen of upgraden ook al vervelender kan zijn. Voor de prijs zou ik toch naar een ICS, G&G, G&P en VFC kijken.

Ik heb @b.samriey al een lange tijd niet meer op het forum gezien :(. KWA is wel echt een heel erg Amerikaans merk dus best duur hier binnen Europa, weinig plekken waar je ze kan halen en meestal beginnen ze pas rond de 350 euro. Ook loopt KWA een beetje achter de laatste jaren en zijn hun modellen toch wel achterhaalt, als je naar hun M4 modellen zoekt kom je al snel op forum topics van 3-4 jaar oud en ze gebruiken veel proprietary onderdelen zoals de hop up unit, waardoor dingen vervangen of upgraden ook al vervelender kan zijn. Voor de prijs zou ik toch naar een ICS, G&G, G&P en VFC kijken.
Hi @Rebelattack , thanks!!! Inmiddels wat rond gegoogled sinds het maken van mijn post hierboven, en ik kom idd op dezelfde conclusie. Nu heeft de G&P M4 mijn aandacht getrokken. Die heeft de stekkers al in de buffer tube zitten zoals Samriey zelf heeft gemaakt. Dus helemaal true to life zoals de Marines of US Army hem ook gebruikt ^_^ En aluminium gebouwd, schijnt één van de beste externals te zijn.